Emotional regulation is a superpower that can transform your work environment, even in a high-pressure setting. It’s the ability to manage your emotions, leading to better decision-making, improved relationships, and increased overall workplace satisfaction.
As the practice leader, you’re naturally crowned with the ability to be all-knowing and knowing of all. In most cases, you hold the keys to the kingdom and only you know how the kingdom operates.
Most leaders are constantly interrupted to handle simple tasks such as: “Hey doc, this night guard isn’t fitting. What should I do?” Or “Hey, Office Manager, the computer will not load the x-rays. Can you fix it?” Every day could feel like an uphill battle and an unending list of decisions to make. Frustration boils over, and hiding your irritability and stress becomes impossible.
Let’s start with checking our emotions:
- Recognize Your Emotions: When burnout looms, recognize when you are frustrated, exhausted, and stressed.
- Take a Breath: Take a moment to breathe deeply, create distance and go for a walk, play calming music or treat yourself to your favorite treat.
- Shift Perspective: Reflect on the bigger picture. Reacting in frustration won’t solve the underlying issues or help your team. Realize it’s time for a change and identify areas/opportunities to create systems to relieve some of the constant interruptions.
- Effective Communication: Instead of venting frustration, gather your team and share your feelings candidly. Express your need for support and suggest ways to distribute responsibilities more evenly.
- Maintain Self-Care: Recognizing the importance of self-care, implement strategies like time management, delegation, and self-compassion. Prioritize their well-being to avoid burnout.
Emotional regulation isn’t a luxury: it’s a necessity for leaders in dental practices. By mastering this skill, you can navigate the daily challenges of your role with grace and resilience. Emotional regulation isn’t about suppressing emotions but channeling them constructively to foster a more positive and productive workplace environment.
P.S. Looking for more tips on leadership? Join me November 3rd-4th, 2023 for our 2-day OM Workshop: Unlocking Leadership Brilliance in Dental Practice Management as we discuss understanding the importance of protocols and system implementation, building a profitable insurance department and key marketing strategies and tracking tips in today’s market.